PUPIL ATTENDANCE POLICY
At Scoil Fhionáin we strive to achieve and maintain high rates of attendance and punctuality. We regard this as an important part of the overall positive atmosphere and work ethic within the school and as being essential for the academic, social and emotional development of the child.
With this holistic approach in mind, the following policy has been drawn up in consultation with staff and Board of Management.
In communications with parents we emphasise the importance and positive aspects of punctuality and good attendance.
- Roll is called at 10am under strict Dept. of Education rules. Daily attendance figures are written into the D.E.S. records and cannot be altered.
- After 9.10am unaccompanied latecomers are noted by the secretary.
- Parents will be contacted if a child is persistently late. A meeting will be arranged to explore ways to improve punctuality.
- Parents will be contacted by letter if there are a lot of unexplained absences. A meeting will be arranged to explore ways to improve attendance.
- Attendance Returns are submitted to the National Education Welfare Board twice a year. Children with absences of 20 days or over must be reported or where there are serious concerns over lesser absences.
- Pupils leaving the school for any reason must be signed out by parent/guardian. If they return to school later the same day the time of return must be recorded.
- Absence forms must be filled out and given to the school on the child’s return. Parents are periodically reminded of this.
- Consistent attendance and punctuality will be encouraged and praised by teachers.
- Certificates for excellent attendance are awarded on the last day of the school year.
This policy will be reviewed after a 3/4year cycle.
Date of next review: October 2021
Signed by Chairperson:____________________________________